Domestic Violence & Abuse: What We Do
Get Help: Call Our Free Anonymous Domestic Violence Hotline: 800.621.HOPE (4673)
What Does Safe Horizon Do for Domestic Violence Victims?
Safe Horizon is the largest organization helping victims of domestic violence in the United States. We continue to be recognized and sought out as leading experts on domestic violence and victimization, both nationally and globally.
Using a client-centered approach, Safe Horizon offers comprehensive domestic violence services for victims including:
- Domestic violence shelters; providing 700+ beds throughout NYC
- Domestic violence counseling
- Legal representation
- Housing and employment assistance
See all of Safe Horizon’s domestic violence services at our Domestic Abuse Get Help Page.
If you are a victim of domestic violence and are in need of help, call our free anonymous domestic violence hotline: 800.621.HOPE (4673)
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic Violence Defined: A pattern of behavior used to establish power and control over another person through fear and intimidation, often including the threat or use of violence.
Other terms for domestic violence include:
- Intimate partner violence
- Battering, relationship abuse
- Spousal abuse
- Family violence
What are Signs of Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence takes many forms including: physical abuse, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, economic abuse, and/or sexual abuse.
These signs can help identify abusive relationships:
- Physical Abuse: slapping, kicking, hitting, shoving, or other physical force.
- Sexual Abuse: rape, sexual assault, forced prostitution, or interfering with birth control.
- Economic Abuse: controlling the victim’s money, withholding money for basic needs, interfering with school or job, or damaging the victim’s credit.
- Emotional Abuse: shouting, name-calling, humiliation, constant criticism, or harming the victim’s relationship with children.
- Psychological Abuse: threats to harm the victims' family, friends, children, co-workers, or pets, isolation, mind games, destruction of victims' property, or stalking.