At our Child Advocacy Centers (CACs), children who have suffered sexual abuse or severe physical abuse are treated by caring teams who are fiercely dedicated to ending child abuse and helping children and families heal.
CAC teams meet the needs of child survivors and their impacted family members by addressing their safety, tending to their physical injuries and emotional needs, and bringing abusers to justice.
These on-site teams include:
- Child Protective Specialists from the Administration for Children’s Services
- Detectives from the New York City Police Department
- Assistant District Attorneys from the borough District Attorneys’ offices
- Corporation Counsel from the NYC Law Department
- Pediatricians from premier local hospitals
- Clinical Forensic Specialists from Safe Horizon
The coordinated efforts of team members located in the same site reduces the number of times children have to retell details of their abuse. Our CACs provide comprehensive wraparound care for children who have been abused and their families.
CACs are not walk-in facilities. Each case of child abuse must be reported to the New York State Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment or to the police for it to be referred to a CAC.