Signs of Abuse
Some signs of child abuse are more obvious than others. Here are some common signs of abuse:
- Has a child’s behavior changed? Do they experience fear, anxiety, depression, aggression or withdrawal?
- Is the child afraid to go home or to see certain individuals?
- Is a child showing overly sexualized behavior or using sexual language that is inappropriate for the child’s age?
- Have you noticed changes in a child’s sleeping patterns including frequent nightmares or difficulty falling asleep? Does the child look tired?
- Have you noticed changes in school performance and attendance, such as being unable to concentrate in class or frequent absences?
- Have a child’s eating habits changed leading to weight gain or loss?
- Do you see signs of visible unexplained injuries such as burns, bruises, or broken bones?
- Is a child using drugs or alcohol?