Safe Horizon Staten Island Community Program
30 Bay Street, 5th Floor
Staten Island, NY 10301
Volunteers attend a 40-hour comprehensive training at Safe Horizon office in Staten Island. This training is offered once a year. Check with the program for the next training date. The training revolves around numerous aspects of rape and sexual assault and upon completion, volunteers become advocates who respond to local hospital emergency departments when a rape or sexual assault has occurred.
The following services are provided, but not limited to:
- Immediate emotional support for survivors and secondary survivors
- An explanation of medical procedures
- Attendance during the medical exam and the collection for the Forensic Evidence Kit
- Acting as a liaison and advocate with hospital staff and criminal justice personnel on behalf of the survivor
- Information and referrals, including follow-up care with the Safe Horizon Rape Crisis Program
- Providing clothing/undergarments, personal hygiene articles and transportation
- Bimonthly supervision and training in order to stay up to date and legal/medical practices
- Application and interview required
- Volunteers must be 18 or over
- Volunteers must have access to adequate transportation in order to respond in a timely fashion- YOU MUST LIVE ON STATEN ISLAND.
- Attend a comprehensive 40-hour training; several weekend days required.
A year- long commitment is required however, a longer commitment is preferred
Volunteer Hours: Sunday-Thursday 5 PM-9 AM or Friday and Saturdays 5PM- 5PM (24 hours shifts).
We generally request two-three shifts a month. This is an unpaid, volunteer position.