Please note you must live on Staten Island to participate in this volunteer opportunity.
The Safe Horizon Staten Island Community Program seeks candidates for a 40-hour New York State Certified Rape Crisis Advocate training. Volunteer advocates are trained to provide short-term and confidential emotional support, crisis counseling, and information to survivors who present for treatment at Richmond University Medical Center and Staten Island University Hospital. Following our comprehensive training, volunteer advocates are on-call to provide in-person support to survivors of sexual assault during the entirety of their stay in the emergency department, which can include the forensic exam and interview.
The types of services advocates provide to survivors can include:
- Immediate emotional support for survivors and secondary survivors
- An explanation of survivors’ rights and options
- Attendance during the medical exam and the collection for the Forensic Evidence Kit
- Acting as a liaison and advocate with hospital staff and criminal justice personnel on behalf of the survivor
- Information and referrals, including follow-up care with the Safe Horizon Rape Crisis Program
- Providing clothing/undergarments, personal hygiene articles, and coordination of taxi transportation for survivors
- No prior experience is needed but an openness to learn and integrate a trauma-informed, survivor-centered approach, using an anti-oppressive lens into your interactions.
- Compassionate and non-judgmental approach to others.
A year-long commitment is required however, a longer commitment is preferred.
Willing to commit to a minimum of three shifts per month (a Friday or Saturday 24-hour shift is counted as two shifts). Please note, shifts are on call.
Shift times are as follows:
- Sunday 5 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Monday 5 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Tuesday 5 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Wednesday 5 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Thursday 5 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Friday 5 p.m. – 5 p.m. (24 hours)
- Saturday 5 p.m. – 5 p.m. (24 hours)
- Bi-monthly supervision and ongoing training in order to stay up to date on legal/medical practices
40-Hour Training Commitment
The Jan/Feb 2023 40-hour Cohort Training dates are required:
- Wed., 1/18, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sat., 1/21, 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wed., 1/25, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sat., 1/28, 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wed., 2/1, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sat., 2/4, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wed., 2/8, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sat., 2/11, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wed., 2/15, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
If you would like to discuss the volunteer opportunity further before submitting an application, please call our main line at (718) 720-2591 and leave a voice message stating your name, number, and your interest in discussing the RSA volunteer opportunity, and a staff member will return your call.
Effective October 29, 2021, as a private contractor of The City of New York all Safe Horizon employees, interns and volunteers must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons.