Call us: 347.328.8110
Traumatic experiences such as sustaining crime and abuse can create distressing reactions that are at times overwhelming and could linger for months or years after. The Counseling Center specializes in helping traumatized survivors of crime and abuse to recover from the effects of these experiences.
About Our Counseling Center
Safe Horizon’s Counseling Center is the only New York State-licensed mental health clinic specializing in treating traumatized victims of crime and abuse. The Counseling Center staff can link clients to a broad scope of other services that Safe Horizon offers, from practical and financial assistance to court advocacy and shelter placement.
The traumatic experience of being a victim of crime or abuse can create overwhelming reactions that linger for months or years afterward. Signs of trauma may include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Inability to continue activities you once found enjoyable
- Feeling overwhelmed and/or confused
- Remembering aspects of the trauma when you do not want to (thoughts, images, sensations)
- Persistent anxiety and tension
- Difficulty falling asleep or remaining asleep
- Nightmares related to the crime and abuse
- Vivid memories of the crime or abuse
- Intense desire not to think about or frequent people, places, and things that remind you of the trauma
- Using substances or engaging in high-risk behavior to numb or distract from the traumatic reactions
For children who have experienced crime or abuse, other reactions may be common, such as:
- Difficulty being soothed
- Regression to earlier developmental stages previously mastered (toilet training, thumb sucking)
- Difficulty getting along with peers
- Excessive clinginess
We serve adults, children and their families, who have experienced one or more of the following:
- Childhood Sexual Abuse or Physical Abuse
- Domestic Violence
- Rape or Sexual Assault
- Loss Of a Loved One to Homicide
- Human Trafficking
- Street Crimes, Physical Assault
If you are experiencing trauma from any of these, you can find help. You have already taken the first step by finding us. The next step is to call us for an appointment.
Counseling Center: 347.328.8110
Our Intake Coordinator will guide you on the phone through the steps to an appointment with a trauma expert.
Our staff will help you assess your current needs, create a workable timetable and plan for your emotional recovery, and find other services if and when necessary.
The Counseling Center is the licensed mental health facility of Safe Horizon and is located in downtown Brooklyn, easily accessible by public transportation.
What Are Your Payment Options?
We accept Medicaid, Child Health Plus, and most private insurances. We have a sliding fee scale based on income for individuals without insurance or other coverage. We will gladly assist you in completing all necessary forms.
Testimonials from Counseling Center Clients
"For so long before I came to the Counseling Center, I was never able to stay clean for more than four months. Now I've been clean for seven months. The therapy we used (Seeking Safety) made me feel safe in being honest about my substance abuse. I learned that I wasn't crazy, and I wasn't 'messed up.' I was traumatized, and with this kind of therapy and my therapist, there was no judgment. I'm now able to handle talking about my trauma history."
- Eddie, survivor of physical and sexual abuse
"If a kid is having abuse at home, they can talk to their parents or to a teacher or to a therapist. They could tell them that there's too much scary stuff at home. When you talk about it, you don't have to worry about it anymore. Kids will see that therapy helps get out your bad feelings."
- Samantha, 9 years old, domestic violence survivor
"My advice to other kids is to tell somebody. Tell an adult like your mom and go to a place where they do therapy. Talking about it is what gets it out of your system. It used to be that I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. Now, since therapy, I realize that I don't have to think about sexual abuse much anymore."
- Louis, 12 years old, child sexual abuse survivor