Hotline Phone Numbers
What Should I Do If I Am Being Stalked?
Get Help: Call our Crime Victims Hotline: 866.689.HELP (4357)
Anyone can become a victim of stalking. The following are suggestions as to what you can do if someone is stalking you.
- Keep a log of incidents including the date, time, what happened, and the names of any witnesses. Even if you decide not to pursue prosecution, you may change your mind and it will be helpful to have documentation of every incident.
- If you have a restraining order, make several copies, and carry a copy with you at all times.
- Save any packages, letters, messages, or gifts from the stalker. They may be important if you decide to report to the police.
- To keep your address confidential, get a post office box and use it on all correspondence. Put this address on your checks. If you are being sent something from Federal Express or another company that won't mail to P.O. Boxes, change "P.O. Box" to "Apartment" when giving your address.
- Use an answering machine to screen calls. Save all voicemail messages from the stalker, or record them to a tape recorder and save the tapes.
- To report telephone harassment and get help in documenting harassing phone calls call the Unlawful Call Center at 1 (800) 518-5507
- You can have your phone reject calls from anonymous or unknown callers by contacting your local telephone service provider.
- Acquaint yourself with 24-hour stores and other public, highly populated areas in your neighborhood.
- If someone is following you, never go home.
- Inform security at your place of employment that you are being stalked.
- Inform friends, family, neighbors, and other people you know that you are being stalked so that the stalker cannot get information about you from them.
- If you have a picture of your stalker, give one to people you know at the places you frequent.
Help for Victims of Stalking
- If you are being stalked, call ur Crime Victims Hotline for help: 866.689.HELP (4357)
- If you are in immediate danger, call 911
- Download our free "Stop the Stalker" Tip Card
- Download our Tech Safety Brochure
- Or visit our Tech Safety page