Please note that if you are in an abusive relationship, the abuser may be able to read your incoming and outgoing email, as well as track visits to SafeChat, if your abuser has access to your computer.
Information We Collect
When you use the SafeChat service, we collect and store certain information.
We may collect, store and use the following information:
- Information you provide in the optional pre-chat survey and in the course of the chat.
- Your Internet Protocol Address (IP Address) and, if you access SafeChat from a mobile device, your device’s operating system.
- Geo-location data for mobile devices and computers.
- Browser and device information and information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other similar technologies.
- Details of how you use SafeChat, i.e. the pages you visit, what website referred you and how you entered the SafeChat (e.g., through a search, Google AdWords™, social media, etc.).
How We Use Your Information
Safe Horizon seeks to protect your confidential information and will not share your information except as follows:
- Your information may be shared within Safe Horizon for quality assurance purposes, to improve Safe Horizon’s services, and to help Safe Horizon staff better support you and other SafeChat users.
- Your information may be shared or accessible to third-party technical service providers, including database and SafeChat administrators, cloud computing services, website hosting, and data analysts in order for Safe Horizon to provide and assess the SafeChat service.
- Your information may also be shared outside of Safe Horizon to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment, to prevent harm to yourself or others (for example, if we are reporting to a first responder in an emergency situation), to protect our clients, our staff or Safe Horizon, or if we believe, in good faith, that such release is required by law, including in response to a subpoena or court order.
- Information which does not identify you, such as de-identified or aggregate data, may be provided to researchers, media, partners, donors, sponsors, funders, or others to improve our services or otherwise further Safe Horizon’s mission to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
- In the event that Safe Horizon undergoes any organizational change, merger, or other transition, Safe Horizon may disclose your information to its affiliates or subsidiaries or to any successors in interest of any business associated with Safe Horizon.
Safe Horizon does not solicit, nor does it knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If you believe that Safe Horizon has unknowingly collected any personal information from someone under the age of thirteen (13), please contact us immediately at email@example.com and the information will be deleted.
All information you provide to Safe Horizon via SafeChat is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt or scramble data before you send it to us.
While we strive to protect the confidentiality and security of your information as described above, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure and we cannot ensure or warrant that such information will be secure from unauthorized individuals.