Safe Horizon is the agency designated by New York City to collect and disburse restitution that is ordered in Criminal and Supreme Court cases in New York City.
Our Restitution Program provides assistance to victims of crime by managing the process of collecting and disbursing restitution payments that have been ordered by the court.
- Restitution can be imposed by the court as an alternative to jail sentence, supplement to incarceration, and/or as a condition of probation.
- In all cases, court-ordered restitution payments are made by the defendants through Safe Horizon’s Restitution Program.
- If the defendant fails to make their payments the court may issue a civil judgment or the claimant may pursue the case in civilly.
- Failure to make timely payments may result in the defendant being resentenced, revocation of probation, and/or incarceration.
The court sets restitution based on the following losses suffered by crime victims, and can include:
- Cost for damaged or lost personal property
- Theft of service (e.g. non-payment for services)
- Unpaid cab fares, restaurant bills
- Emergency transportation to a hospital
- Medical costs
- Costs of replacing locks or relocation expenses
If restitution is ordered by the judge in disposition of case, the Restitution Program:
- Collects payment(s) from the defendant(s) or probationer(s) in the form of money order, certified bank check, or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.
- Payments can be made in person, by mail, or online.
- Online payments can be made by visiting https://govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/8040
- Alerts the appropriate court partners if the defendant or probationer fails to comply
- Notifies the complainants of the amount of the court-ordered restitution
- Distributes collected funds to the designated complainant(s) by mailing checks to them.
Have you moved? Changed your telephone number? If you believe you should have already received a restitution payment and have not, please send us an e-mail at email@example.com.