Safe Horizon is the agency designated by New York City to collect and disburse restitution that is ordered in Criminal and Supreme Court cases in New York City. If you believe you have been awarded restitution in New York City by a judge and are looking for information about the status of your claim, please check here.
Our Restitution Program provides assistance to victims of crime by managing the process of collecting and disbursing restitution payments that have been ordered by the court.
- Restitution can be imposed by the court as an alternative to jail sentence, supplement to incarceration, and/or as a condition of probation.
- In all cases, court-ordered restitution payments are made by the defendants through Safe Horizon’s Restitution Program.
- If the defendant fails to make their payments the court may issue a civil judgment or the claimant may pursue the case in civilly.
- Failure to make timely payments may result in the defendant being resentenced, revocation of probation, and/or incarceration.
The court sets restitution based on the following losses suffered by crime victims, and can include:
- Cost for damaged or lost personal property
- Theft of service (e.g. non-payment for services)
- Unpaid cab fares, restaurant bills
- Emergency transportation to a hospital
- Medical costs
- Costs of replacing locks or relocation expenses
If restitution is ordered by the judge in disposition of case, the Restitution Program:
- Collects payment(s) from the defendant(s) or probationer(s) in the form of money order, certified bank check, or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.
- Payments can be made by mail, online or in-person by scheduling an appointment.
- Online payments can be made by visiting https://govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/8040
- Alerts the appropriate court partners if the defendant or probationer fails to comply
- Notifies the complainants of the amount of the court-ordered restitution
- Distributes collected funds to the designated complainant(s) by mailing checks to them.
Have you moved? Changed your telephone number? If you believe you should have already received a restitution payment and have not, please send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Establish a Case
To set up a Restitution case please email the Court Order and Defendant contact information to the Restitution Program in the borough where the court case resides. Upon the establishment of a case, an email confirmation will be sent to inform you of the case number and payment details.
How to Make a Payment
Restitution payments can be accepted only after a case has been established with Safe Horizon’s Restitution Program.
- Payments are accepted in the form of a Certified bank check or money order. Personal checks or direct bank payments are not accepted. Payments should be mailed to the Restitution Office where the case resides. All payments must contain the Defendant Name and Safe Horizon Case Number. In-person payments are not accepted at this time.
- Online Payments are accepted through GOVPAY at https://www.govpaynow.com. Online payments will require you to input your Safe Horizon case number and a PLC code, provided when established. Restitution payments may take three to five days before the funds are transferred to your account, so please coordinate payments with court appearances.
Once a payment has been applied a receipt will be sent by email provided the information has been made available to Safe Horizon. Please reach out to the Restitution Program with any changes to your contact information.