A person’s legal status should not be a barrier to their ability to seek help, obtain justice, and live a life free from violence.
Our Immigration Law Project (ILP) advocates on behalf of immigrant survivors of crime, torture, or abuse in New York City, to enable them to obtain:
- Lawful status for themselves and their families
- Relief from the threat of removal
- Work authorization to enhance economic security and access to resources and support
Our staff are trained and experienced in working with survivors of trauma and violence from diverse cultures, and are able to provide services in a wide variety of languages.
ILP provides free and low cost immigration legal services in the following areas:
- Work Authorization
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self-Petitions and Battered Spouse Waivers
- Adjustment of Status
- Removal defense for victims of crime, family members of victims of crime, asylum seekers, or other vulnerable persons of humanitarian concern
- Family Based Petitions
- Temporary Protected Status
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- Green card replacement
We provide services to clients regardless of their current immigration status.
Located in Brooklyn, Safe Horizon’s ILP serves all five boroughs of New York City. Our services are available in 200 different languages. Clients are seen by appointment only.