Menu
Find Us
Escape
Quickly exit site Click on this button when your abuser enters the room. This page will be changed to Google.
Cancel

'The View' Co-Host Sunny Hostin Joins Cause for Law Protecting Sex-Abuse Victims

'The View' Co-Host Sunny Hostin Joins Cause for Law Protecting Sex-Abuse Victims

NY Daily News
By Kenneth Lovett
January 8, 2018

Excerpt Below:

ALBANY — A co-host of “The View” has joined the fight for passage of a bill to make it easier for child sex abuse victims to seek justice as adults.

Sunny Hostin, who’s also a former federal prosecutor, in a statement to the Daily News urged Gov. Cuomo to make the Child Victims Act a legislative priority this year.

In addition to her roles on “The View” and as a legal correspondent for ABC News, Hostin serves as a board member for Safe Horizon, a victims assistance organization that has been a leading advocate for enacting the Child Victims Act.

She said she prosecuted many crimes against women and children when she was an assistant U.S. attorney.

I know just how difficult it can be for survivors of sexual abuse to come forward,” Hostin said. “They may fear not being believed, may be dealing with the effects of trauma, or their abuser may have threatened them if they tell anyone.

Hostin is the latest national figure to weigh in on the act. In December, television personality Dr. Mehmet Oz urged his viewers to contact state Senate Majority Leader John Flanagan (R-Suffolk County) to urge that he allow the bill to come to the floor for a vote. A day later, actor Corey Feldman, who says he was sexually abused as a child actor, also joined the chorus calling for the bill’s adoption.

The Assembly has passed a version of the Child Victims Act several times, including in 2017, which was the first time since 2008. But the bill has died in the Republican-controlled Senate.

The bill the Assembly passed last year, which Cuomo supported, allowed survivors to bring civil cases up until their 50th birthdays and felony criminal cases until their 28th birthdays. Currently, they have until their 23rd birthdays to bring such cases.

The bill also included a one-year window to revive old cases and treated public and private institutions the same. Currently, those abused in a public setting like a school have just 90 days from the incident occurring to formally file an intent to sue.

Read the original article here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Donate“/>