|Description:||Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. The program has grown from its beginnings in 1984 as a storefront project to encompass both outreach and comprehensive harm reduction services. The core service is long-term, one-on-one counseling, which is offered in a non-judgmental and holistic manner utilizing a harm reduction approach that focuses on building trust, fostering self-esteem, exploring options and choices, and empowering youth to change their high-risk behaviors.|
As part of our continuum of services, we provide overnight outreach in teams of two seven nights a week throughout the five boroughs of New York City. Outreach Youth Advocates work overnight hours to meet the most disenfranchized youth while they are in crisis (outreach four nights a week: W 4pm-2am; TH 5pm-2am; FR&SA 11pm–7am) This position is a new addition to the existing program that focuses on street outreach to young people involved in the commercial sex trade. This is an 8 – month program with possibility of renewal.
|Qualifications:||• GED or High School Diploma|
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish
• Valid Driver’s License
• Experience working with clients in the commercial sex trade
• Compassionate approach to others and openness to new ideas
• Dynamic energy, able to multi-task and negotiate multiple requests
• Non-judgmental approach and ability to empathize with others
• Experience working with LGBTQ communities
• Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
• Genuine interest in working with disenfranchised youth and young adults
• Bachelor’s Degree in social services, creative arts, liberal studies or any field related to working with youth
• Understanding of harm reduction perspective
• Demonstrate the ability to work independently
All prospective job candidates must meet screening requirements, which may include a background check, credit check, finger printing and State Central Registry clearance.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.