|Position:||Public Relations Manager|
|Reports To:||SVP, Communications and Marketing |
|Location:||2 Lafayette Street|
|Description:||Safe Horizon is the nation's leading victim assistance organization and each year serves over 250,000 people who have been touched by violence by helping victims of crime and abuse through their crises. Recognized as a leader responding to the changing needs of its clients, Safe Horizon is sought after for its expertise on issues of violence and victimization in the City, the state and across the country. Its programs are woven into the fabric of New York City: in community based offices; domestic violence shelters; courts; and police precincts. Whether responding to child abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking or other violent crimes, Safe Horizon helps victims and their families heal and rebuild their lives. Safe Horizon’s $50 million budget and staff of 580 employees supports a variety of program services including running a 24-hour hotline, providing safe shelter and food, and giving assistance through the legal process. Safe Horizon also provides supportive services such as mental health counseling and case management, as well as advocating on issues dealing with domestic violence and child abuse. |
Safe Horizon’s public relations manger will work on efforts that stand to make a profound difference in the lives of victims of violence across the New York region, the country and the world. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to lead, implement and provide counsel for Safe Horizon’s public relations program which has the goals of increasing awareness of the agency’s mission, promoting events and initiatives, managing media outreach and crisis communications, all in close collaboration with colleagues throughout the organization.
Key to this position will be the proven ability to increase share of voice in local, national and international media sectors. The ideal person will demonstrate the ability to be a keen monitor of issues that stand to impact the agency, to anticipate and provide environmental analysis of opportunities and problems in a way that is proactive, timely and constructive. This role requires innovative thinking, influential connections and superior talents to successfully advocate for a lifesaving cause.
|Responsibilities:||• Develop reactive and proactive external public relations and media outreach that entails developing strategic and tactical communications plans to increase the visibility and stature of the agency, its key executives and experts.|
• Cultivate strategic media relationships and work closely with key media influencers, reporters, journalists, producers, and editors to ensure Safe Horizon is the go-to expert and is sought on issues of importance to the agency.
• Develop a multilingual speaker’s bureau program that positions organizational leaders as industry experts.
• Identify newsworthy trends and stories to pitch to the media and assume direct responsibility for generating content needed for this work such as--but not limited to--press releases, OpEds, key messages and talking points.
• Develop and implement framework for securing media partnerships for event and campaign sponsorships and collaboration.
• Serve as an official spokesperson for Safe Horizon.
• Provide counsel and preparation to senior management and other spokespeople for interviews with local, national, and international media.
• Spearhead the overall creation and design of policies and procedures for media relations.
• Collaborate in the development and management of a celebrity program.
• Coordinate public relations planning with social media agenda to achieve seamless ecosystem of external communications execution.
|Qualifications:||• Minimum 5 years of multicultural experience managing public and media relations, preferably in an aggressive advocacy/fundraising environment, or non-profit human service organization.|
• Bachelor's degree in communications, PR, journalism, or a related discipline required.
• Savvy media expert with strong media contacts and a track record of securing sustained proactive placements.
• Impeccable editing skills, plus excellent analytical and persuasive written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to shape the story and manage the message in media communications.
• Demonstrated success securing day-to-day, event, campaign and thought leader press coverage.
• Experience creating visibility plans and integrating these with marketing strategy.
• Proven relationships with journalists writing about social services locally and nationally.
• Experience integrating varied communications channels (new media and website) into media strategy.
• Understanding of publicity that enhances advocacy and fundraising goals.
• Demonstrated success developing and managing public awareness campaigns.
• Strategic thinking and proven experience developing and executing on original ideas; ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
• Proven track record of success working independently with an ability to excel in a fast-paced environment with controversial issues and changing priorities.
• Have a positive team approach to working with internal and external partners.
• Proven track record developing strong, positive relationships with targeted press.
• Excellent presence, with the ability to quickly gain the respect of the senior leadership team and emerge as a strategic counselor and advisor.
• Proven collaboration and leadership skills.
• Media training and spokesperson mentoring experience.
• Excellent people-management skills with demonstrated success making meaningful connections with staff across large local organization with national reputation, and in managing programs, staff, and/or volunteers and interns.
• Knowledge of issues facing victims of violence with experience working with vulnerable populations.
• Bilingual (fluent in spoken and written form) in language of a major New York ethnic group, other than English.
• Thorough understanding of computer and systems for preparing reports and overseeing operations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the bases of race, age, gender, gender identity, or gender expression
All prospective job candidates must meet screening requirements, which includes a background check.