|Position:||Chief Development Officer|
|Location:||2 Lafayette Street|
|Description:||Safe Horizon is the nation's leading victim assistance organization and touches the lives of 250,000 people each year who have been affected by violence and abuse. Woven into the fabric of New York City, for over a quarter of a century Safe Horizon has been at the forefront of helping victims of crime and abuse. Whether responding to child abuse, domestic violence, or other violent crimes, Safe Horizon helps victims and their families heal and rebuild their lives. |
Safe Horizon takes action through a variety of program services including a 24-hour hotline, safe shelters for survivors of domestic violence and for homeless youth, nationally-recognized treatment centers for children who have suffered from abuse, and the nation’s largest program serving survivors of human trafficking. Dedicated staff help victims each year find hope by offering a chance for them to tell their story in their own words, guiding them through the criminal justice system, and providing a safe place to sleep. Recognized as a leader responding to the changing needs of its clients, Safe Horizon is sought after for its expertise on issues of violence and victimization across the country and around the world.
A staff of 650 delivers and supports the programs, and Safe Horizon has a budget of approximately $50 million. Currently, approximately $43 million is from government sources, and $7 million is raised privately
|Responsibilities:||Safe Horizon is seeking a seasoned, creative, and forward-thinking individual to act as Chief Development Officer (“CDO”). The Chief Development Officer will be part of Safe Horizon’s executive team, reporting directly to the CEO and supervising a staff of approximately12 development professionals. In that role, he or she will be responsible for all aspects of fundraising from public and private sources, creating a diversified revenue stream that supports organizational sustainability, and growth. A major goal for the CDO is to increase private fundraising significantly over time. |
The successful candidate will be a demonstrated leader able to skillfully represent Safe Horizon to donors, prospects, and the public. She or he will have proven success as a manager and strategic planner in a high-paced, outcome and deadline-driven environment. This individual will have to accept the challenge of raising large amounts of money in uncertain times and have the capacity to grow the base over time. The successful candidate will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment and interpersonal skills. She or he will be able to successfully navigate complex organizational structures and effectively collaborate across departments and divisions to attain results.
• Oversee all aspects of fundraising including private and government grants, corporate partnerships, special events, and individual and major gift campaigns.
• Significantly increase these sources of funds over time.
• Provide leadership for a fundraising department, creating short-term and long-range plans to meet revenue goals.
• Manage and continue to forge a high functioning team of development professionals.
• Organize and manage daily operations, set goals and performance measures to evaluate department performance.
• Collaborate with CFAO and Chief Program Officer to develop budgets, track revenue, and manage expenses across the organization.
• Act as a compelling advocate for Safe Horizon’s programs with internal and external stakeholders.
• Collaborate closely and productively with the Marketing staff.
• Collaborate with Safe Horizon’s various board committees to recruit and cultivate members, structure and manage activities, lead meetings and comprise reports.
• Oversee and execute all the Special Events; including theme, event participants and honorees, budgets, collateral, venue
|Qualifications:||• Understanding and commitment to Safe Horizon’s mission.|
• Excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to articulate Safe Horizon’s mission to generate support.
• Knowledge of New York City business, government, and philanthropic communities.
• Bachelor’s degree, extensive knowledge of all forms of fundraising, with a demonstrated track record of success in a senior development position.
• Strong management skills, demonstrated experience in strategic planning, team building, and leading change.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships, motivate and work effectively with CEO, board members, colleagues, donors and volunteers.
• Expertise in managing budgets and fundraising data, thorough understanding of Raiser’s Edge and data management systems.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and previous compensation. For more information on Safe Horizon, go to http://www.safehorizon.org/.
Questions may be directed to: email@example.com