|Responsibilities:||Under the supervision of the Supervising Maintenance Worker, the Porter/Maintenance Worker is the primary repair and maintenance resource at any of the Domestic Violence (DV) shelters, dwellings. Responsibilities include:|
• Performing general custodial and cleaning duties to include cleaning of common areas, maintenance of cleaning equipment, garbage and trash removal, snow removal and other cleaning services as needed;
• Buffing, waxing and striping floors as needed;
• Cleaning and sanitizing apartment units prior to occupancy of new residents;
• Maintaining an inventory of appropriate cleaning supplies;
• Perform general preventive maintenance on all building and safety systems;
• Perform maintenance repairs requested by staff and clients;
• Assist in loading and unloading furniture, equipment, tools and supplies for use at the facility;
• Drive small moving van size vehicles throughout New York City for business purposes only;
• Assembly and install furniture and equipment as required;
• Perform light construction duties including drywall installation and patching, painting, light bulb and fixture installation, drain and sewer line stoppages, cabinet installation and repair, vinyl and ceramic tile installation and repair and window air conditioner installation and maintenance. Actions will include the use of power tools (hand drills, saws, etc.) and repetitive motions of drilling, sawing, screwing, ratcheting, etc.;
• Work in cooperation with a wide variety of staff members and clients at each location to ensure completion of tasks as scheduled and as safely as possible.
|Qualifications:||• High school diploma or equivalent (or equivalent experience) required. |
• Valid NYS Drivers license with no suspensions and fewer than 3 points required.
• Certificate or certification in a building trade, maintenance, building systems or building equipment repair is required.
• Good English writing and verbal communication skills.
• Must be able to safely lift and move 35lbs on a daily basis.
• Candidate must be able to manage multiple demands and work well independently or within a team.
• Bilingual ability a plus.
• Sensitivity to domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, and sexual abuse is a plus.
** PRIMARILY IN HARLEM, BUT COMFORTABLE TRAVELING ACROSS ALL FIVE BOROUGHS **
**Various hours, weekends and some evenings**
All prospective job candidates must meet screening requirements, which may include a background check, credit check, finger printing and State Central Registry clearance.
If you do not wish to enter your Social Security number at this time, select NO in the “Release Authorization” section. Selecting “NO” will not adversely affect your employment application.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.