|Description:||Under direction of the Vice President, Government & Institutional Support, the Development Associate, Grants, develops proposals to institutional donors and prospects. The Associate, Grants, actively develops and submits government proposals as a member of the Government & Institutional Support team, which produces on average more than $17.5 million in contract requests annually. He/she also has personal responsibility for raising an average of $1 million in private foundation and corporate grants each year. Responsibilities also include preparation of status reports, general information and research into public and private funding sources, including government RFPs. |
|Responsibilities:||• Monitors online and print publications for government Requests for Proposals, evaluates them for relevance to Safe Horizon’s mission and programs, and writes RFP summaries for distribution to senior program leaders, as appropriate;|
• Manages the government proposal submission process for specific Safe Horizon programs, including both initial grant applications and competitive re-bids. This includes scheduling meetings with program and fiscal staff; establishing deadlines; writing, editing and proofreading copy; gathering attachments and signatures; reviewing budget forms; and submitting complete proposal packages;
• Identifies prospective private and corporate foundation donors for specific Safe Horizon programs and conducts research relating to the applicability of their funding interests to those programs. Writes all initial proposals and letters of interest for new initiatives and program expansion efforts within his/her assigned program areas;
• Cultivates relationships with existing and prospective donors through discussion, correspondence, meetings, and tours of Safe Horizon facilities;
• Manages key dates relating to these relationships: i.e., pledge payments, stewardship reports, renewal requests, and proposal submission deadlines;
• Customizes gift acknowledgement letters;
• Carries out special projects as requested, including assisting with program development and definition as it relates to new fundraising proposals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||• Demonstrated advanced, superior writing skills – ability to capture the importance and purpose of a program or project with an emphasis on effective structure, grammar and succinctness;|
• Ability to understand program objectives, philosophy and operations in order to effectively convey how programs benefit clients to donors and prospects in writing, over the phone and face-to-face;
• Strong verbal and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work independently;
• Experience developing and reviewing program/project budgets;
• Must possess the ability to effectively multi-task with competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
• Must have excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills;
• Background in social or human services preferred;
• Detail oriented.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent training and experience
• 1-2 years’ experience in corporate, government or foundation grant writing or equivalent work experience in the non-profit sector;
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
• Experience with Internet Research;
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge (preferred) or other constituent management system.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
All prospective job candidates must meet screening requirements, which includes a background check.
If you do not wish to enter your Social Security number at this time, select NO in the “Release Authorization” section. Selecting NO will not adversely affect your employment application.
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, veteran and HIV statuses