|Description:||Safe Horizon is the nation’s leading victim assistance organization. Our mission is to provide support, prevent violence, and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities. Our programs are located throughout the five boroughs of New York City in court houses, police precincts, schools, shelters, and community offices. Safe Horizon’s first priority is the safety of those who seek assistance. Our programs work with clients to meet their needs so they can look ahead to a safe horizon.|
One of Safe Horizon programs is to provide assistance to victims of crime by managing the process of collecting and disbursing restitution payments that have been awarded by the court. Following the order of the court, we collect funds from the defendants and distribute them to complainants. Safe Horizon is the agency designated by New York State to collect and disburse restitution that is ordered in Criminal and Supreme Court cases. The Restitution Unit notifies complainants of the amount of restitution ordered, collects payment from defendants on behalf of complainants, and alerts the court if the defendant fails to comply.
The Restitution program operates at court buildings in all five boroughs. Internally, we manage the data for the Restitution program in a custom-built database. Crime victims report that they especially value receiving restitution for the crimes committed against them.
The Director of Restitution is a highly visible position that manages a staff and engages with partner agencies in the Criminal Justice System.
|Responsibilities:||• Responsible for the financial operations of the Restitution program, including maintaining financial controls and records and preparing monthly financial and statistical reports.|
• Responsible for partnering with Court Personnel and District Attorneys regarding the process of restitution and individual cases.
• Responsible for continuing to automate the restitution process. Develop a plan based on this research and lead the team to implement the plan.
• Manage staff working in court buildings in all five boroughs.
• Notify courts and the Department of Probation about the payment status of defendants.
• Respond to inquiries from claimants about their Restitution payments and pro-actively develop communication strategies with all of the constituencies.
• Work with internal staff members in the Court Programs, Finance, and Information Systems & Technology departments as well as with the courts and government agencies.
• Participate in the development, administration, and monitoring of Restitution budgets. Identify options for efficiencies.
• Provide community education and professional training to staff and other agencies about restitution.
• Regularly visit all Restitution sites to coach the staff and maintain familiarity with issues at each site.
|Qualifications:||• A Bachelors degree in Finance, Information Technology or related field, or equivalent relevant experience, including experience in financial record-keeping.|
• Knowledge of relevant accounting.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to coach, motivate, develop, and lead a team.
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to write reports and queries in Excel, MS Access and/or Crystal Reports (or similar application) is desirable. Programming skills are not required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate diplomatically and appropriately to stakeholders in a variety of positions, including judges and other court personnel and government agency staff members at all levels.
• Track record of preparing budgets and financial forecasts.
• Demonstrated success in handling accounts payable/receivable and complex reconciliation issues.
• Ability to innovate, take ownership of issues and drive resolution with multiple stakeholders.
• Strong commitment to service and quality standards as well as client satisfaction.
• Ability to organize and manage multiple projects.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet established goals, deadlines, and objectives.
• M.A./M.S. in IT or Finance.
• Experience in analyzing and optimizing process flow.
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations is helpful, as is experience in the financial services sector.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
All prospective job candidates must meet screening requirements, which includes a background check.
If you do not wish to enter your Social Security number at this time, select NO in the “Release Authorization” section. Selecting NO will not adversely affect your employment application.
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, veteran and HIV statuses