|Position:||MAINTENANCE WORKER |
|Reports To:||Lead Maintenance Worker|
|Description:||The Facility & Property Management Department is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of Safe Horizon shelter facilities throughout New York City that provide temporary housing for victims of domestic violence. |
|Responsibilities:||Under the supervision of the Supervising Maintenance Worker, the Maintenance Worker performs custodial duties to ensure that the agency’s Domestic Violence shelters and/or dwellings are maintained in a clean and safe manner. The Maintenance Worker also provides basic maintenance and repair as necessary. Duties include but are not limited to: |
• Cleaning all elements of the facility including floors, walls, kitchens, bathroom, common areas, etc. Handling garbage collection and removal. Thoroughly cleaning residential units and all associated elements such as stoves, refrigerators, painting, plastering, etc. in order to prepare them for incoming clients;
• Performing a variety of general maintenance tasks such as changing light bulbs, changing batteries in smoke and carbon dioxide detectors;
• Moving, loading, unloading, and transporting furniture, equipment, tools and supplies for use at the facility;
• Assembling and installing furniture and equipment;
• Performing a variety of light construction duties such as drywall installation and patching, painting, light bulb and fixture installation, drain and sewer line stoppages, cabinet installation and repair, vinyl and ceramic tile installation and repair and window air conditioner installation and maintenance. Actions will include the use of power tools (hand drills, saws, etc.) and repetitive motions of drilling, sawing, screwing, ratcheting, etc.;
• Operating basic building systems including boilers and heating systems, fire prevention and alarm systems, etc.
|Qualifications:||• High school diploma or equivalent (or equivalent experience); |
• Certificate or certification in a building trade, maintenance, building systems or building equipment repair;
• Ability to lift and move 35lbs on a daily basis;
• valid New York State driver’s license with no suspensions and fewer than 3 points required.
• Bilingual English/Spanish
• Experience working in a supportive housing setting,
• Computer proficiency are desired.
Hours: full time, various hours, weekends and some evenings
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
All prospective job candidates must meet screening requirements, which includes a background check, finger printing and State Central Registry clearance.
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, veteran and HIV statuses
|Education:||High School Degree / G.E.D.|