Hotline Phone Numbers
- 1975 - A pilot program is created in New York City's court system that addresses the urgent need to assist criminal court witnesses who had been intimidated, or who felt too threatened to testify in court.
- 1978 - The pilot program becomes the Victim Services Agency and offers a broader array of services that help more victims of crime and abuse.
- 1979 – Community Programs are established to support, educate, and advocate for victims of crime and abuse.
- 1981 – Domestic violence services are created to offer victims shelter, counseling, and other practical support.
- 1984 - Streetwork Project to help homeless youth is created.
- 1988 - Counseling Center opens and is the only New York State licensed mental health clinic that specializes exclusively in trauma-focused treatment for victims of crime and abuse of all ages.
- 1996 - The Jane Barker Brooklyn Child Advocacy Center opens; marking the first fully co-located Child Advocacy Center (CAC) to help children who have endured sexual or severe physical abuse.
- 1998 - The Staten Island Child Advocacy Center opens.
- 2000 - The Victim Services Agency becomes Safe Horizon, a change in name that emphasizes our belief that every person impacted by violence and abuse deserves to have a "safe horizon," a day when they could look forward to a better and safer tomorrow.
- 2001 - The Anti-Trafficking Program (ATP) is established to help human trafficking victims.
- 2003 - The Queens Child Advocacy Center opens.
- 2003 - The Brooklyn Child Advocacy Center is renamed the Jane Barker Brooklyn Child Advocacy Center.
- 2009 - The Manhattan Child Advocacy Center opens.
- 2015 - The Bronx Child Advocacy Center opens.
Learn More About Us
- Learn about our leadership
- See a list of our individual, foundation, and corporate supporters
- Find out how you can help victims of violence and abuse