Online Community Policy
Thank you for joining Safe Horizon online! Every person touched by violence and abuse has the chance to speak about their experiences on our Facebook and Twitter sites and to connect with others who can offer support. Making sure every person gets that chance to talk means making sure to keep these points in mind:
FIRST: If you are in an emergency situation...
DO NOT DELAY - and do NOT post to the community boards looking for help! Saving your life depends on getting immediate and expert assistance from trained medical, social, or legal service providers. If you need help finding resources, please call Safe Horizon’s hotlines:
800.621.HOPE (4673) for Domestic Violence
866.689.HELP (4357) for Crime Victims
212.227.3000 for Rape, Sexual Assault & Incest
TDD phone number for all hotlines: 866.604.5350
Dial 911 for emergency police and medical services in the United States.
And everything else?
- Please respect the diversity of Safe Horizon’s community members. Violence and abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of education or background, and talking about it is often the most difficult thing to do. Give others room to speak. What’s most important is what they’re saying – not how they say it.
- Please keep on-topic! Great discussions can lead to other great discussions … under another discussion header. Please feel free to create new ones in order to keep up new conversations.
- The viewpoints, actions, and opinions expressed on Safe Horizon’s community site come from individual members, and may not reflect our policies or positions. Information provided here is also no substitute for expert advice. Please consult a trained medical, legal, or social service professional to verify information before taking action.
- Safe Horizon has the right to remove any photo, profile, discussion, or video from our site. Any messages or stories shared on this site may also be used for other Safe Horizon promotional activities.
- Safe Horizon advocates for victims of violence and abuse. So that we will not tolerate abusive, inappropriate, disruptive, or sexually and/or racially-explicit images or statements made on our community site should be no surprise. Any posts like these will be removed, and we’ll exercise our right to ban members who post offensive content. While this doesn’t mean you aren’t free to speak your mind, speaking your mind doesn’t mean you can attack or harass other members who disagree with you.
- Please do not sell merchandise or advertise products for sale on Safe Horizon’s community boards.
- Looking for answers from Safe Horizon staff? Yes, we’re on the boards, but understand it’ll take awhile for us to sift through the discussions to get to individual questions. For a faster response, contact us directly.
- If you see something, say something – report community site abuse at email@example.com.
Don’t forget to read the Terms of Service!