Domestic Violence and Abuse Stories
Domestic violence stories enable you to learn about domestic violence firsthand including: what domestic violence is, how domestic violence affects children, and how Safe Horizon’s services help all victims of abuse and those involved in the relationship violence.
These domestic violence stories are told by real victims of abuse that Safe Horizon helped.
All names of victims, children and abusers in these domestic violence stories have been changed to protect their privacy. Images used are only representations of Safe Horizon’s clients.
Children & Domestic Violence
What happens when a child sees domestic violence every day? These are just some stories of children witnessing domestic violence in their homes.
- Christina’s Story: Her Son Asks the Violence to Stop
- Michael's Story: When a Child Witnesses Domestic Violence
- Natalie's Story: Saving Children
Child Abuse & Domestic Violence Victims
Studies show that in 30 to 60 percent of homes where there is domestic violence, there is also child abuse.
Immigrant Domestic Violence Victims
These domestic violence stories focus on victims of domestic violence who are immigrants.
Domestic violence victims can suffer psychological trauma that extends into their financial situation. These domestic violence stories tell how dv affects other areas of the victims’ life.
- Veronica's Story: Finding the Courage to Walk Away
- Peggy's Story: Being Free Again
- Lauren's Story: Survivor of Domestic Violence
Men as Domestic Violence Victims
Men can be victims of domestic violence, too. These stories of male domestic violence victims show a hidden side of dv.
Other Stories of Domestic Violence:
These domestic violence stories are based on the survivors of domestic abuse.
- Karen's Story: Survivor of Domestic Violence
- Maria's Story: Survivor of Domestic Violence
- Priscilla's Story: Survivor of Domestic Violence
- Adrina's Story: A Chance to Escape
- Heather's Story: Survival Against All Odds
- Ursula's Story of Hope After Domestic Violence
- Janine's Story: Safe Valentine's Day
- Sil Lai's Story: Giving Victims a Voice
- Nadine's Story: No More
Help Domestic Violence Victims Today
If you would like to help save victims of domestic violence and the traumatized children who witness abuse, you can donate to support Safe Horizon and our domestic violence programs.
Each donation to Safe Horizon helps the give more than 250,000 children, adults, and families affected by violence and abuse the tools and resources they need to heal and recover every year.
Other Domestic Violence Resources
- Domestic Violence