Hotline Phone Numbers
Child Abuse Victims: Get Help
To Report Child Abuse Call the New York State Central Register of Child Abuse & Maltreatment: 800.342.3720
To Report Child Abuse Outside New York Visit the Child Welfare Information Gateway here
Para Los Servicios del Abuso de Menores en español clic aquí
What is Child Abuse?
Child Abuse Defined: Child abuse includes physical abuse, sexual abuse, and emotional abuse inflicted by a parent or legally responsible caretaker.
Child Maltreatment Defined: Child maltreatment includes all forms of child abuse (physical, sexual, emotional) and neglect and abandonment or lack of supervision of a child by a parent of legally responsible caretaker.
Immediate Help for Child Victims of Abuse
Safe Horizon’s Child Advocacy Centers (CACs) are child-friendly facilities for children who have endured sexual or severe physical abuse. Located in each of the five boroughs of New York City, they provide critical help in one place.
Every one of our CACs is staffed with a team of experts who sit side-by-side to provide victims of child abuse with medical, legal, mental health services, and more.
Help for Adult Survivors of Child Abuse
Children and adults affected by child abuse may require therapy to recover from the trauma. Our counseling center provides the most effective mental health treatment services to adult survivors of child abuse as well as long-term counseling for children affected by abuse in New York City.
- To reach our counseling center call 347.328.8110
- Learn more about our Counseling Center
- If you are an adult survivor of child abuse and live outside of New York City, call the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN): 800.656.HOPE (4673)
How You Can Help Abused Children: Report Child Abuse
If you suspect that a child is being abused, or if a child confides in you that they have been hurt or harmed by someone, it's important to keep calm and tell the child you believe them. Show interest and concern while reassuring and supporting the child.
To report an emergency child abuse situation in New York, call 911.
In a non-emergency:
- Call the New York State Central Register of Child Abuse & Maltreatment at 800.342.3720
- To report child abuse in any other state, visit the Child Welfare Information Gateway
Help Victims of Child Abuse
- Signs of child abuse
- More resources for victims of child abuse
- About our Child Advocacy Centers
- Support critical services for child abuse victims