Hotline Phone Numbers
You can provide now for a future gift to Safe Horizon by including a provision for a bequest in your will or revocable trust.
In these economic times, not everyone has the ability to give the same levels of monetary donations that they wish. Leaving a bequest lets you leave a significant gift to support the work of Safe Horizon to help victims of violence and abuse well into the future.
Why should I make a Bequest Gift?
- There is no upper limit on the estate tax deductions that can be taken for charitable bequests;
- You know that your gift will benefit Safe Horizon in the future just as you would like to give a gift today;
- It is not payable until death, so it does not affect your assets or cash flow during your lifetime;
- It is revocable in that you can change the provisions in your will or trust at any time; and
- It brings you membership in our Legacy of Hope Society where your bequest will be recognized.
Bequest Gifts: Benefits to You
What is the difference between a will and a trust?
A will is your instructional guide to survivors about how you want your property distributed. It is a revocable, private document that only goes into effect after your death.
A revocable trust is an entity that holds assets during your lifetime, then transfers ownership of them -- or benefits from them -- as specified, upon your death.
There is no difference between wills and trusts in how they make charitable transfers. In some states the probate and distribution process is simpler with a revocable trust. Your advisers can guide you in choosing which vehicle will work better for you.
What if I've already written my will or trust?
You can amend a will or trust to make a gift without rewriting the entire document. Your attorney can prepare a simple document, called a codicil, which adds a new bequest to Safe Horizon while reaffirming the other terms of your will. Similarly, an attorney can prepare an amendment to a revocable trust to add Safe Horizon as a beneficiary.
Safe Horizon is a 501(c) (3) organization Federal Tax ID: 13-2946970