Advocacy & Policy
Photo courtesy William Alatriste, New York City Council
"Safe Horizon has been an invaluable advocate for change in the justice system, helping us develop innovative solutions to meet the
challenges that victims of violence encounter in court and beyond."
-- Judith S. Kaye, Chief Justice of the State of New York (ret.)
Safe Horizon's Government Affairs office advances public policy initiatives on behalf of victims of violence and abuse. Through legislation, budget initiatives and regulatory advocacy, the Government Affairs office strives to create new avenues to safety for our clients.
Current Advocacy Campaigns
Safe Horizon is working make sure victims of crime and abuse receive critically-needed support and services.
Government Affairs is advocating for New York State laws that would:
- Afford a greater opportunity for adult survivors of child sex abuse to seek criminal and civil damages.
- Safe Horizon is working to re-establish a program that would help survivors of domestic violence to access safe, affordable and permanent housing for themselves and their families.
We are also working to preserve state and local funding for a number of Safe Horizon programs, including:
- Child Advocacy Centers, which help victims of child sexual and severe physical abuse begin to heal;
- Streetwork, which provides overnight shelter, street outreach and other crisis services to homeless and at-risk young people;
- Legal services, which guide victims of domestic violence and other crimes through an often-confusing criminal and civil court system;
- Safe Horizon’s Counseling Center, which provides mental health treatment to child and adult survivors of crime; and
- Court-based Children’s Centers, which offer free, educational activities to children whose caregivers have business in court.
- Safe Horizon participated in the successful advocacy for the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act
- Safe Horizon successfully advocated for funding for a Child Advocacy Center in the Bronx – it is currently under construction
- New York State Gives Domestic Violence Victims More Time to Stay in Domestic Violence Shelters
How to Reach Safe Horizon's Advocacy & Policy Office
Contact Michael J. Polenberg, Vice President, Government Affairs, at 212.577.7700.