Advocacy & Policy
Photo courtesy William Alatriste, New York City Council
"Safe Horizon has been an invaluable advocate for change in the justice system, helping us develop innovative solutions to meet the
challenges that victims of violence encounter in court and beyond."
-- Judith S. Kaye, Chief Justice of the State of New York (ret.)
Safe Horizon's Government Affairs office advances public policy initiatives on behalf of victims of violence and abuse. Through legislation, budget initiatives and regulatory advocacy, the Government Affairs office strives to create new avenues to safety for our clients.
Current Advocacy Campaigns
Safe Horizon is working make sure victims of crime and abuse receive critically-needed support and services.
Our Government Affairs Office is working with a broad coalition of survivors and advocates to pass the Child Victim Act which would afford a greater opportunity for adult survivors of childhood sex abuse to obtain justice. This Statewide bill would eliminate the statute of limitations for certain felony-level sex offenses on both the civil and criminal level and also create a one-year “window” to allow survivors to seek civil damages for past crimes.
We are also working to preserve state and local funding for a number of Safe Horizon programs, including:
- Child Advocacy Centers, which help victims of child sexual and severe physical abuse begin to heal;
- Streetwork Project, which provides overnight shelter, street outreach and other crisis services to homeless and at-risk young people;
- Legal Services, which provide expert guidance to victims of domestic violence and other crimes in Family Law and Immigration Law proceedings; and
- Counseling Center, which provides trauma-focused evidence-based mental health treatment to child and adult survivors of crime.
- Safe Horizon successfully advocated for the creation of city-funded subsidies to move victims of domestic violence and their families out of shelter and into safe, affordable housing.
- Safe Horizon successfully advocated for funding to establish a fully co-located Child Advocacy Center (CAC) in the Bronx, the only borough without such a program. This CAC is slated to open in early 2015.
- Safe Horizon participated in the successful advocacy for the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act
How to Reach Safe Horizon's Advocacy & Policy Office
Contact Michael J. Polenberg, Vice President, Government Affairs, at 212.577.7700.