10 Signs of Domestic Violence & Abuse
Some signs of domestic violence and abuse are more obvious than others; these are a few of the most common.
Does your partner ever…
- Accuse you of cheating and being disloyal?
- Make you feel worthless?
- Hurt you by hitting, choking or kicking you?
- Intimidate and threaten to hurt you or someone you love?
- Threaten to hurt themselves if they don’t get what they want?
- Try to control what you do and who you see?
- Isolate you?
- Pressure or force you into unwanted sex?
- Control your access to money?
- Stalk you, including calling you constantly or following you?
If you believe you or someone you know is affected by domestic violence and abuse:
- You are not alone.
- You are not to blame.
- You do not deserve to be treated this way.
- You have rights.
- You can get help.
How Can You Help Someone in Crisis?
Learn what you can do to help yourself or someone you know who may be experiencing violence at home.
Make a call: In New York City Safe Horizon operates a toll-free, 24-hour hotline for help: 800.621.HOPE (4673)
Outside New York City call 800.799.SAFE (7233).
Be informed: Get information on domestic violence and abuse here.
Get more help: Find resources for help here.
10 Signs of Domestic Violence: Share Them
Download our 10 Signs of Domestic Violence and Abuse card - English (PDF) here.