Restitution: The Core Elements
Safe Horizon is the agency designated by New York State to collect and disburse restitution that is ordered in Criminal, Supreme and Family Court cases in New York City.
Safe Horizon’s Restitution Unit provides assistance to victims of crime by managing the process of collecting and disbursing to them restitution payments that have been awarded by the court.
- Restitution can be imposed by the court as an alternative or supplement to incarceration, and/or as a condition of probation.
- In all cases, court-ordered payments are made by the defendants or probationers through Safe Horizon’s Restitution offices.
- If the defendant or probationer fails to make their payments the court may issue a civil judgment or the claimant may sue.
- Failure to make timely payments may result in revocation of probation and/or incarceration.
The court sets restitution based on the following losses suffered by crime victims:
- Emergency transportation to a hospital
- Medical costs
- Costs of replacing locks or relocation expenses
- Cost for damaged or lost personal property
- Theft of service (e.g. non-payment for services)
- Unpaid cab fares, restaurant bills
Following the court orders, the Restitution Unit:
- Collects payment(s) from the defendant(s) or probationer(s) in person, by mail, and by credit card. Payments can also be made by visiting https://govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/8040
- Alerts the appropriate court if the defendant or probationer fails to comply
- Reports defendant’s or probationer's arrears information to (D.O.P.)
- Notifies the complainants of the amount of the court-ordered restitution
- Distributes collected funds to the designated complainant(s) by mailing checks to them
- When the defendant or probationer has paid but the beneficiary cannot be located, we transfer funds into an Unclaimed Funds account for future distribution.
- If and when the beneficiary has been located, we will disburse from this account.
- Disbursement from this account occurs annually.
Restitution payments can be made online by visiting:
Restitution Physical Office Addresses
Staten Island Criminal Court Restitution Office
67 Targee Street, Rm. B12
Staten Island, NY 10304
Queens Criminal Court Restitution Office
120-55 Queens Blvd. Rm. G6
Kew Gardens, NY 11424
Manhattan Criminal Court Restitution Office
100 Centre Street, Rm. 1102
New York, NY 10013
Bronx Criminal Court Restitution Office
215 East 161st. Street Rm. 3-34D
Bronx, NY 10451
Brooklyn Criminal Court Restitution Office
120 Schermerhorn Street, 8th Floor - Rm. 800
Brooklyn, NY 11021